Posted by: potomacpacemaker | June 24, 2011

Busy hands and fresh faces

Post contributed by Volunteer Project Manager Bob Reed.

Another great work day was completed on Saturday, June 18 as twelve volunteers contributed 58.5 man hours of sweat equity into preparing the Potomac Pacemaker for restoration.  Two additional volunteers joined the group, bringing our roster to 28 active volunteers.

Matt Sprinkle arrived early and began working on the maintenance stands to free up the remaining jack screws that were rusted.  Thanks to Matt for bringing two quarts of motor oil to be used in lubricating all the jack screws.  We’re ready now to begin replacing the carpet covered wood beams and supports on all the stands.

John Sink continued with the work removing tubing and wiring in the forward cargo compartment and cockpit area.  Martha Jackson, with some assistance from Matt, removed the forward bulkhead covering while Bill Wilkerson continued with work in the cabin and lavatory area, including vacuuming the areas under the flooring.

Perry Miller and Francis Horton accomplished a task that has been needed for quite some time.  A temporary support has been used under the floor beams where the center wing section mates with the fuselage, and this presented a safety problem.  They used the electric miter saw that had been donated to the project to fabricate a much better support for walking across that section of the fuselage floor.

Kevin Lee, a new volunteer and a retired airline mechanic, worked on the left engine nacelle and inside the wheel well removing unnecessary hardware and tubing.  Kevin indicated that there’s a little more work to be done in the wheel well.  It appears the work is now about 75% complete on the left engine area.  The right engine area is about 25% complete.

Walt Ryerson, another new volunteer, was successful in removing the rear cargo compartment flooring.  The screws securing the flooring were rusted and frozen but Walt managed to remove them either by use of the pneumatic “screw knocker” or by cutting them loose with the pneumatic grinder.

While Walt was busy in that area, Bill Compton successfully removed the access door between the cabin and rear cargo area.  As was the case with other doors, the piano hinge pin was frozen and could not be removed as it was designed to do, so Bill had to drill out all the rivets that held the hinge to the door frame–a time consuming task.  Bill also removed the galley tray table, the waste disposal door and the galley storage area door.  The piano hinge pin on that small door has been the only one that was removed the way it was designed.  The hinge pin was easily removed.

Bill Behrendt removed the passenger air stair safety light on the outside of the fuselage and then worked on removing wiring from the conduits inside the fuselage.  Charlie Hall assisted in several areas and then searched through the parts manuals and maintenance manuals for vital restoration information.  As usual, I spent most of my time with administrative matters.  Also, a few new tools and supplies had been purchased which needed to be prepared for use so I handled those activities.

 We look forward to our next work day which will be Saturday, July 16, 2011.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: